Everyone knows the classic version of pesto with basil and pinenuts. And although there’s nothing wrong with a classic, sometimes you just want to change things a bit.
Since kale is full of vitamins, anti-oxidants, and whatever you want I felt there was not much I could do wrong with this version.
If it didn’t taste good, at least it was healthy!
The end result was fine, it tastes like the original one, only just a slightly more bitter version.
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems discarded
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the kale until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the kale to a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Squeeze the kale to remove the excess water.
- In a food processor, combine the kale, walnuts, garlic and parmesan until almost smooth; season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- With the machine running, add the olive oil.
All pictures by Stijn van Minnebruggen.